The Pacific Media Workers Guild, TNG-CWA Local 39521 is seeking a full-time Union Representative to join its staff in San Francisco, CA. Our Local represents news organizations, staff unions, nonprofits, worker coops, and more. We’re looking for someone with a range of skills who thrives in a fast-paced environment. PMWG’s membership is growing. This position will support member-driven contract campaigns with escalating collective actions tied to bargaining strong first contracts and successor agreements.
The ideal candidate for this job has a minimum of 5 years of experience in union work, preferably in the news information industry, and is skilled in contract negotiations, representation, training, recruitment, organizing and implementing internal issue campaigns. Our members are leaders in their fields, and Guild representatives must be comfortable taking on tough national employers.
The Pacific Media Workers Guild is an equal opportunity employer with members that care deeply about building an inclusive, diverse and equitable working environment.
Job duties and requirements include:
- Working with members to bargain and win strong contracts, consistent with requirements of the TNG constitution and PMWG bylaws
- Working with members to develop and execute campaigns for first contracts in support of the Local’s internal and external organizing goals
- Where appropriate, recommending and assisting with filing ULPs as authorized by the PMWG Executive Council
- Supporting members to map and chart workplaces, build leadership networks and execute internal and external organizing campaigns
- Regularly coordinating with local and national NewsGuild staff to set goals, track progress and work through challenges
- Must have a demonstrated ability to organize and mobilize workers, as well as a commitment to building power for working people.
- Must have familiarity with labor law and experience with private-sector contract campaigns
- Must have experience assisting members in developing contract proposals and in conducting effective negotiations
- Excellent communication, organization and computer skills are crucial.
- Nights and weekends are regularly required.
The salary range for this position begins at $80,000, depending on experience. Benefits include excellent health insurance and retirement contributions.
Please email a cover letter describing your experience and approach to the job as well as a résumé to the Search Committee at: email@example.com. Please put “PMWG staff rep application” in the subject line.